Sauteed Radishes with Pesto and Chives
A simple side dish in under 20 minutes! Try my new recipe for Sautéed Radishes with Pesto and Chives for this spring and summer!
You may have seen radishes in salads or as a beautiful flower garnish at restaurants. Or, maybe as the vegetable favorite in the t.v. show, Fraggle Rock (I am an 80’s baby). These pink and plump root vegetables are also delicious on their own as a side dish!
Rich in Vitamin C, folate, and fiber, they also add a peppery taste and crunchy texture! This makes them a great addition to salads, pasta dishes, and even omelets! Better yet, try them on their own with your favorite herbs and spices! Check out The Kitchn for more delicious ideas and recipes using radishes!
Simple sautéed radishes
These sautéed radishes are lightly browned in butter and topped with pesto, chives, and feta cheese. Save those radish leaves! The leftover greens make an excellent pesto to coat these sautéed radishes. With the leftover pesto, the options are endless. Toss it in your favorite pasta, salad dressing, or marinade to your favorite meats or vegetables.
If you are not a pesto fan, skip the pesto and keep it simple. These buttery radishes are just as tasty with chives and feta. For a vegan-preferred diet, substitute olive oil for the butter and replace the feta with a dairy alternative or nuts for a protein source.
- 2 bunches of radishes, quartered, stemmed and leaves reserved if possible
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- One tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pesto Ingredients:
- 2 cups radish leaves or other greens, washed and stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, raw (or other nuts of your choice)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- Prior to cooking the radishes, place all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Process until a smooth consistency is achieved. Make sure to slowly pour in the olive oil while blending to evenly emulsify. Set the pesto mixture aside.
- In a large pan, melt the butter on medium high heat. Add the radishes and onion, sautee for 5-7 minutes until radishes are lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the radishes with 1/2 cup pesto mixture at a time until evenly coated. (You will likely have extra pesto).
- Evenly distribute the coated radishes to plates and top with the feta cheese and chives.
If you prefer radishes without the pesto, top them with your favorite cheese and/or fresh herbs!