Creamy Roasted Vegan Broccoli Soup
The fall season is finally here! Why not cozy up with a warm
cup of this naturally gluten-free and vegetarian Creamy
Roasted Vegan Broccoli Soup?
With hints of lemon and topped with parmesan cheese, this healthy version of a broccoli soup classic is sure to please!
Simple and Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup
Cream of Broccoli soup is not just for Campbell’s soup fans! Make your own version at home with your favorite broth and milk source. Personally, I tried it with homemade almond milk, but this soup can be creamy with regular milk, dairy-free milk, such as coconut, or even without milk altogether! If you prefer no dairy, use a total of four cups of broth instead for this recipe.
To give this vegan broccoli soup that creamy texture, make sure you have an immersion blender or high-powered blender. If using a traditional blender, transfer the soup (with the heat turned off) in small batches and pulse until a smoother consistency is achieved. To be honest, I am completely obsessed with my immersion blender. I use it often for soups, sauces, and dips. For a version similar to the one I own check out this Cuisinart one from Amazon here.
Nothing better than homemade!
Besides a homemade broccoli soup, I finally made homemade almond milk (used in this recipe). After reading about how easy and simple it is to make this tasty dairy alternative, in addition to viewing how-to videos by other dietitians, I knew I had to try it. Not only is homemade almond milk tastier than the boxed version, it also doesn’t include any fillers.
When I say simple, I mean simple when making this delicious beverage. Almond milk at home involves three basic steps. Soaking the almonds (or other type of nuts) overnight in water is the first and easiest. Second, transferring the almonds after draining the soaking water into a blender and pulsing them with clean water until a blended, thick consistency is achieved. Make sure you are using a 1:2 ratio of almonds to water. Lastly, drain the almonds in a mesh nut bag and squeeze out the liquid into a bowl or container. Voila, this drained liquid is now tasty and creamy homemade nut milk. If you want to try this fun method in the kitchen, try these amazing hemp nut milk bags from Gaia Guy . For more on making almond milk, read this helpful article here from The Kitchn.
I hope you find this soup recipe delicious and comforting as the colder weather approaches. Wishing you a beautiful and healthy fall season!
This soup is so quick and easy! If you prefer a vegan soup, use almond or coconut milk for a unique flavor. For those that prefer chicken broth, try it with low sodium chicken broth for less sodium content. This recipe has a strong lemon flavor, I recommend reducing the lemon zest to one teaspoon if you would rather have a subtle flavor.
- 2 medium heads of broccoli, chopped into medium florets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, largely chopped
- 4-5 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups low sodium broth (I used vegetable)
- 1 cup milk ( I used homemade almond milk)
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Optional topping: Grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Place broccoli florets on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the broccoli roasts, in a medium pot, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Sautee the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sautee for 30 seconds to one minute until garlic is slightly browned. Add the lemon zest, broth, and milk. Bring to a simmer and continue for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted broccoli to the soup pot. Turn off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender (or transferring soup in small batches to a blender), blend the soup until the ingredients are a pureed consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with optional parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy it with whole grain bread or a side salad for a complete meal.