A quick and healthy pizza in under 30 minutes! Try these tasty BBQ jackfruit Naan pizzas for your next Meatless Monday!
Jackfruit, a magical, mysterious, and mouth-watering fruit that fools even meat lovers! The delicious fruit is taking over the role of chicken and pork in your favorite tacos, sliders, and stir fries. This recipe uses nutritious jackfruit in place of BBQ chicken or pork for a tasty pizza topping!
The Benefits of this Miracle Fruit
Jackfruit is becoming more and more popular as a meat replacement and for good reason. Naturally lower in calories and saturated fats compared to most tender meats, this fruit also packs in some good-for-you nutrients! Jackfruit also contains excellent sources of:
- Potassium- making it an excellent post workout meal
- B6 (pyridoxine)- keeps a healthy nervous system, involved in serotonin production
- Vitamin C- builds healthy skin, aids in iron absorption, and may prevent heart disease
- Magnesium- for blood pressure control and building strong bones
Summer Cooking with BBQ Jackfruit
Forget worrying about undercooked food at your next barbecue! Unlike cooked meats, jackfruit doesn’t require the internal temperature requirements and takes half the time to soften. I first dabbled with jackfruit when I made jackfruit tacos last year. They were so hearty and tasty that even our “meat lover” friends enjoyed them!
In this recipe, I created a healthier take on BBQ pizza using the combination of tomato paste and a natural BBQ sauce by Motherlode Provisions with only 5 grams of sugar per serving. Most BBQ sauces out there can average up to 20 grams of sugar per serving! When shopping for barbecue sauce, aim for less than 10 grams of sugar per serving for a healthier choice. Even better? Make your own homemade BBQ sauce!
The recipe is extremely versatile and can be replaced with different vegetables, cheeses, and even protein choices. I hope you enjoy this meatless meaty dish for your next weekday dinner or cookout!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 20 ounce can jackfruit (preferably in water), rinsed then chopped into smaller pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small naan breads (or half of larger naan breads)
- 3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 small bell pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup pineapple chunks (thawed if frozen)
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (preferably less than 10g sugar per serving)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the jackfruit and saute for 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the tomato paste and BBQ sauce. Saute for additional 3 minutes to coat the jackfruit. Turn off the heat.
- Place the Naan breads on the baking sheet. Layer evenly with the cheese then distribute the jackfruit, pineapple, and pepper for toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with additional BBQ sauce, optional.