Curry Roasted Carrots with Yogurt Dressing
Want to spice up a holiday feast this year? These tasty curry
roasted carrots will make an exotic side dish to any main
entrée thanks to its addition of creamy yogurt dressing and
Don’t Forget the Sides!
When it comes to the holidays, the main entrée is always the focus of the meal. Whether it is turkey, fish, or a delicious vegetarian stuffed squash, tasty side dishes are most often forgotten. I don’t know about you, but my absolute favorite on Thanksgiving Day is stuffing. Watch out, I could seriously devour a whole plate if it were in front of me. Stuffing may not be the healthiest option (and yes, there are healthier recipes out there), but side dishes give us the opportunity to include beneficial and seasonal vegetables this time of year. Brussels sprouts, kale (yes I said it), and even carrots make a colorful sidekick for your main dish! While most side dish options include starchy potatoes or stuffing, adding colorful vegetables balance out those protein and starches at your next family meal.
Curry Roasted Carrots Recipe
These curry roasted carrots are kicked up a notch with an herby yogurt dressing and crunchy pomegranate seeds! While balancing out the intense curry spice, roasting the carrots in honey and olive oil also gives them a perfectly carmelized flavor and crispy texture. Topping the roasted carrots with the yogurt sauce adds creaminess and evens out the heat from the curry.
To make this recipe vegan, use a dairy-free yogurt version for the dressing and substitute the honey for maple syrup. If you are not a fan of pomegranate seeds, topping the carrots with protein-rich nuts, such as almonds, would also be a healthy and tasty substitution!
With the festive holiday season on its way, I hope you still enjoy your favorite treats, like stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and yes pumpkin pie. Try adding some colorful vegetables to make it an even more enjoyable (and healthy) meal the whole family will approve!
- 16 ounces whole carrots (trimmed stems), sliced lengthwise if larger than 1" wide
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup yogurt (preferably whole milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Toss the carrots with olive oil, curry powder, and honey.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan and tossing halfway through cooking time.
- While the carrots roast, in a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, cilantro, and garlic. Set aside.
- Once the carrots are nicely browning, turn off the heat and transfer the carrots to a serving dish.
- Drizzle the yogurt sauce and top with pomegranate seeds over the carrots.
These curry roasted carrots make a tasty side dish to any main entree. Whether is it pasta, a casserole, or meat dish. To add more vegetables to your meal, serve these carrots with a side salad. Need more carbs? Add with a fresh multigrain roll. Enjoy!