Vegan Avocado Brownies with Coconut Topping
The very popular avocado brownies made vegan
and gluten-free! Try my new recipe for these
Coconut Topped Vegan Avocado Brownies!
I received free samples of NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars mentioned in this post. I was compensated for this blog post. My views on this product are my own.
Don’t forget the topping!
I was so excited to be able to work with the NuGo brand for these brownies. As I have mentioned before, not only are they are truly loyal company, but I share the same values for their healthful food products. Using the NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars were the perfect topping to these vegan avocado brownies. Besides being absolutely delicious, they are protein and fiber-rich, low in sugar, vegan, and gluten-free! Just one of these tasty real dark chocolate bars with coconut topping provides:
- Under 200 calories
- 7 grams of dietary fiber
- 16 grams of protein
- Only 3 grams of sugar and only 5 grams of net carbs thanks to the high fiber content!
- A very low glycemic index of 29
To buy your own box of this delicious chocolate treat click here!
For this vegan avocado brownie recipe…
The majority of this recipe is adapted from my first avocado brownie recipe. I substituted flax eggs for regular large eggs, gluten free flour for the whole wheat flour, and cacao nibs for the semi sweet chocolate chips. Gluten free baking is still new to me. I have tried almond flour and chickpea flour in the past, but the flour blend that came out with the best result was the Bob’s Red Mill version. Both the All Purpose flour and 1:1 Baking flour have come out perfectly. To find both version click here and here.
- 2 medium, ripe avocados skin and pit removed (halve the avocado and scoop out with a spoon)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw granulated sugar
- 2 flax eggs replacement*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (I used 1:1 baking mix by Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs or vegan chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, maple syrup, and sugar. Blend well. Then add the flax eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well so that all of the ingredients are blended together. Make sure to scrape the sides for any remnants.
- Gently add in the flour, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Turn off the processor and remove the blade. Stir in the cacao nibs using a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the batter into the pan evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Test the middle of the batter with a knife or toothipick to make sure nothing sticks.
- Remove from heat and top with the NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars and coconut flakes for topping.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
*The flax egg replacement uses a 1:3 ratio for flax meal to water. For each egg whisk together 1 tablespoon flax meal and 3 tablespoons water. For this recipe you will need 2 tablespoons flax meal and 6 tblespoons water.