Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl
Want a dish that hydrates, restores energy, and satisfies hunger? Try my new recipe for this Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl!
I received free samples of NuGo Nutrition bars mentioned in this post. I was compensated for this blog post. The opinions and comments of these free products are all mine.
Summer’s Sweet and Sour Pick
With cherry season here, so is the abundance of fresh pies, jams, and cheesecakes! Cherries may be most often recognized in desserts, but they are also delicious extras in savory dishes. Try tossing them in a salad or risotto, on top of bruschetta, or even as a glaze. These stunning stone fruits make an appearance from late spring to summer, so get them while you still can!
Cherries are a top pick (no pun intended) when it comes to boosting your health thanks to vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants, such as quercetin and anthocyanins to name a few. They have been studied for their possible effects on post workout recovery, our sleep cycle, cancer benefits, and even arthritis. For more scientific details, visit Eating Well’s article on the nutrition benefits of cherries.
A Favorite Snack
I fell in love with NuGo Nutrition bars this year when I moved to Boulder. Just last month, I used the NuGo Slim Crunchy Peanut Butter as a topping for various desserts, including my Creamy Peanut Butter Strawberry Chia Pudding. The NuGo Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip in my opinion is the most versatile flavor of the other versions. Thanks to its subtle sweetness, I can eat it alone, add in my yogurt, and yes, top on my smoothie bowls.
This is the ideal snack for a late afternoon or post workout. Whether I am training for my next running event or lifting weights at the gym, these bars pack in the nutrients I need to restore energy. The real dark chocolate coating makes it a perfect combination of a snack and dessert in one! Having the cherry smoothie as a post workout snack or meal will provide me with the potassium and antioxidants my sore muscles need.
More reasons why I love the NuGo Dark in Chocolate Chocolate Chip:
- Packed with 10 grams of protein
- 200 calories or less making it a great pre- or post-workout snack!
- Vegan and Gluten-free for those gluten sensitive or on specialized diets
- Rich in antioxidants from real dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1 cup frozen, pitted cherries (or 3/4 cup if fresh)
- 1 medium banana, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter, unsalted preferred
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, optional
- Additional ice cubes to thicken, optional
- 1 Nugo Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip bar, chopped (for topping)
- *Additional topping choices: unsweetened shredded coconut, nuts, cherries, sliced bananas
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the toppings. Cover and blend until a smooth and thick consistency is achieved. Add additional ice cubes to thicken if necessary.
- Slowly transfer the smoothie mixture into a bowl and fill to the rim. Add the NuGo bar topping and additional toppings (about 1/4 cup each) of your choice.
- Serve cold with a spoon and enjoy!